Monday, March 21, 2016

Ways of Looking

      For  my paint analysis, I observed the work of one of LaGuardia student exposed right by our Art
class. The work may be abstract but it looks to me like some kind of Origami or folded paper flowers. 

From a Formal Analysis, it looks to me like the artist did not respect the perspectives properly which makes it hard to really figure out what is represented. I am not always sure if it is another "flower" or just shadow. There is not much details in the painting, what I see are three separated piece.

The Stylistic Analysis to me is a personal matter. This painting may convey very different emotions to different people. Personally it did not touch me as much as I would have like. It is kind of geometrical but with a little lack of technique. The work of shadows is a bit confusing as well. The reason I do like it, is from the Biographical point of view. Knowing this paint has been made by a student who put in his time and his best, makes it really more appreciable. I look at it with no judgment but instead with curiosity, wondering what other work may that student have done and how this work may make them feel (proud, challenging, passionate?).

For the Contextual Analysis I felt like the light yellow of the walls and the soft yellow from the lightening favored the paint. It is in the same palette color, the top of the paint is almost identical to the color of the wall, it makes it blend greatly. I liked the paint from a closer look better. From a close up, I could see the work of the brush and the texture and it made the paint more interesting.

Overall, I thought this was a good work, maybe not my favorite but definitely technical and interesting.

1 comment:

  1. There are some good observations here, and I appreciate how you tried to view the work through the different ways of seeing, especially in the way you applies the biographical information to your viewing. Please review contextual analysis- what your discussing there is the physical experience of viewing so maybe they are getting confused.

    ReplyDelete