Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Introduction


Hello, my name is Jasmine. I am a student here at LaGuardia entering my 3rd semester with the school. Currently I have enjoyed my time here at LAGCC and meeting the amazing people and professors I have had the privilege to work with. This is will be my first official art course as a student, I am excited to see what the class holds for me and what I will take away from it.

                I think my first interactions with what I consider “art” happened at a young age. My parents, both of Puerto Rican descent and 2nd generation Americans spent their teenage years during the 1980’s in New York City. My father was a graffiti artist who always had his work up throughout the house growing up. He was very much so into street art and had an insane collection of comic books which I believe inspired his style of drawing. I believe my taste in art has definitely been sculpted by my experiences with street art growing up but hopefully after this course there will be some new styles I have developed an appreciation for.

I have attached a picture of  “Tuxedo” by Jean-Michel Basquiat which I had the awesome experience of seeing in person at the Brooklyn Museum last summer while they had the “Basquiat: The Unknown Notebooks” exhibit available for viewing.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting! I loved children's comic books and recently saw a few great anime movies (Spirited Away - world recognized, both by critics and movie theaters, made like $300M)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to learn more about Basquiat, his whole personae seem captivating

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I want to hear more about your father and your experiences growing up with graffiti art!

    ReplyDelete