Monday, March 21, 2016

I am Iron Man


I really love Iron Man so when I saw this photo in my first semester, I fell in love with it. When I took a step back from the photo I noticed a lot that I haven't before. As you can see in the photo, there is a full body Iron Man in the middle of the canvas. I've looked at this photo from close up many times I've never noticed that until I actually took the time to step back and view the picture as a whole. I also noticed the color scheme throughout the photo. They start the left corner off with his original armor color and then it goes down into a pinkish color. Then it transfers into a blue color going to the right. Then it transforms into an orange color throughout the middle and bottom. When I look at it from far away I wonder did the artist leave the rest of the painting undone on purpose or did they really run out of time?

            When I looked at the picture up close I noticed how each iron man mask had a different detail. They are not all the same. Then it goes back to me questioning if the artist didn't finish on purpose or not because some of the masks and armor of the full body Iron Man has a thick black outlining while others have lighter lines as if they were still figuring out what to do with the other masks and aspects of the painting. From far away and close up you notice the pain strokes. They aren't noticeable in the far left corner but then they start to show throughout the rest of the painting.

            While looking at the picture I was using the formal analysis. I looked at the details and try to draw as much meaning as possible from the painting. For example I think the artist was trying to show the many looks of Iron Man and how he has evolved as a character over time. I think the painting not being done represents how he is not quiet done evolving in this present day.

1 comment:

  1. Kimiko, I am glad you found a piece that you had a personal connection to, and you made some good observations about looking at detail. You state that you viewed through formal analysis, but from your writing I think you are also describing some of the other ways of seeing. Maybe review the definitions and see if any others apply, and remember we are often using multiple ways of analyzing an artwork.

    ReplyDelete