Friday, March 11, 2016

Victor's art

Hi guys. My name is Victor (37), I was born and raised in Croatia; immigrated to the states 15 years ago. Since I love going to MET museum, this class is crucial for me to learn how to approach art. It's not as intimidating as the first time I went there, but I didn't make much progress in all those visits. Have you guys ever been to Guggenheim museum? There was a painting by Pablo Picasso (yes, he has normal art as well -lol) of people mingling in a bar in 1920s or so. The painting looked alive. The people, the smoke from their cigarettes - everything looked so vivid. I could hear their laughter. That's the first time I understood the power of art, and why would anyone pay a fortune to have it. I think it was marked with estimated evaluation of $1.5M ! I love going to the section with furniture where experts who work in a museum re-created the living spaces of the houses and castles of the nobles so we can get a small glimpse how they used to live. Sculptures are something I “don’t get” so definitely have to work on that. And yes, I spend more than 3 secs looking at each painting, something I improved over the years: at least for a decent percentage of the them. The museum of natural history was also surreal, with all the world and different periods at one place. The giant whale in its own real size in the basement - wow! A kid in me who loves Jurassic Park / World movies really enjoyed the dinosaur section. But both MET and a museum of natural history had those miniature replicas of villages and towns showing how people used to live, or live even today: it was a great place/time travel. I took the following pic from MET museum a while ago.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Victor! I have been to Croatia and it was GREAT! Glad to hear about your interest in art!

    ReplyDelete