Monday, March 28, 2016

The day I met The Met

     If someone were to ask me "what's bigger, Central Park or The Metropolitan Museum of Art?" I would tell them The Met of course! Before most of you or even all of you start arguing with me about my opinion, I know... Central Park is way bigger in size wise, but The Metropolitan Museum of Art collects a little from everywhere and any where in the World. The moment when you walk into the Met, you just felt like you are in different places on Earth. No, the reason isn't because all the tourists speaking different languages around you, but you will see and hear them throughout your visit to the museum. However, it is because of all the arts in this museum. They are all from different places, cultural, and time period. In addition, the arts aren't the only great thing about The Metropolitan Museum of Art. In fact, I'm sure most of you would agree with me on this, the donation as an entrance fee was the smartest idea ever! I had always believe that artists did not create arts just for the admission fees to the museum, but to showcase their creations to us and the World. Therefore, in my opinion, all museum should be admission-free. That way, it will attract more people to get into art and start to appreciate them.

     Moving on to the architecture of the museum, the exterior of the Met looked like an ancient historical building. It might looked like a boring city hall building from the exterior, but the enormous size and the mysterious design just make you want to explore it. The interior of the museum is completely different from the outside. The view from the entrance was already enough to kept my eyes busy. The large elegant stair cases down the center of the lobby makes you curious about what you could possibly discover on the top of it. To the right of the entrance, you are able to find an Egyptian statue sitting right in the middle of the lobby. Behind the statue, you are able to get a peak of the Egyptian architecture through the admission booths. However, I did not choose either directions to enter the museum. I entered through the left of the lobby. What attracted me was the great ancient Greek column that was standing right behind the admission booths. The column looked almost like it was taken out from an ancient Greek building, but it was still perfectly fine. Among the column, there were rooms full of marble sculptures. Most of these sculptures were damaged, but they still looked very amazing. Beside the column, the design of the hall was also very alike to ancient Greek buildings, but with a modern wrist. There were other smaller columns on a marble tile wall. The ceiling design was allowing natural light to cast in on the sculptures, also has openings in between the ceiling design to place artificial lights. These lights helped bring out the details in the sculptures.

     Although the museum had so much to explore, but I did not gave myself enough time to see it all due to the lack of research before my visit to the museum. I did not pay attention to the closing time of the museum, so I spent more time than I expected at the entrance and the Greek and Roman Art hall and missed out on exploring other places in the museum. However, I still enjoyed my visit to the Met very much. I would definitely plan another visit to the museum, so I can be able to check out the rest of it.



1 comment:

  1. Alan it sounds like your trip was cut short. What about the essay questions regarding labels/information, viewing conditions, and looking in detail at one work? Re-read the essay requirements.

    ReplyDelete