Monday, March 21, 2016

LaGuardia Community College Museum Review

What is a museum without arts and an art without museums? Some believed art is the only important part of a museum, I disagreed. Museum is as important as an art. Everything in the museum can affect the arts within. Different texture and color, can change your feeling towards the arts. You might think the light below your foot was unnecessary, but the placement of lights in a museum are all well planned out. With the perfect lights shining from the perfect angle, can bring an art to life. In addition, even the little thing like the caption and label next to the art, change the way you value the art. For example, if a painting was done by a 3 years old child, but on the caption the museum wrote that it was painted during the renaissance. All of a sudden, the painting became way more valuable.

The experience to the LaGuardia Community College Museum wasn't so pleasant. The lights were poorly placed, there was an awful smell, and there were people speaking very loud. However, there were many art works displaying in the hall of LaGuardia Community College Museum. One of them really caught my attention from far. It was an painting of a pot. When I started walking closer, I began to see more on the surface of the painting. The artist painted the reflection of the studio on the pot. I thought the detail that the artist included on the reflection was amazing. I was able to see how the artist's studio looked like, just by viewing the reflection of the pot. I remembered my Intro to Art professor once taught me that, some art piece you need to fill up your whole view to enjoy it, and I thought that theory worked very well with this painting. However, the Museum mounted the painting on a black contact sheet, along with a glass on top on it all. This gave a bad reflection on the whole art piece. When I was viewing the painting, I also saw the reflection of people walking behind me. In my opinion, that was a very big distraction. I would recommend others about this museum, but I would suggest them bringing music on their own, to avoid the loud conversation cause by others.


1 comment:

  1. This is a creative way that you describe the viewing experience and you did a good job identifying the way the setting affects your viewing of the work. What about the types of visual analysis we discussed in class? Which ones did you use in viewing the work? They are not identifies here.

    ReplyDelete