Monday, March 28, 2016

The MET on a Wednesday Morning


           I've been going to the Metropolitan Museum since elementary school. As a young artist, that's where I wanted my mom to take on Saturday morning. When I visit the museum I never take a map or go to specific exhibit. I just wander and let feet take me where they may. I noticed while there I look at the paintings up close and then I step back to look at them from afar. The artifacts in the glass I look at up close being there is already distance between us and depending on its size, I step back to get the full effect.

            When I was in the Egyptian part of the museum, the way everything was presented was helpful except at certain parts. The way certain topics/rooms were set up just made it confusing as to did I walk this way? Did I already see this artifact? How do I leave this section? Apart from being confused, you can tell when a new section was entered due to the lighting. The lighting in certain rooms where dim, whereas others were the same but then the artifacts had a lone bright light above it. Then there was this room with the amazing sunlight overseeing the courtyard. It had a little cafe on the side and amazing statues.

            Each visit I took to the museum I wouldn't read descriptions. I would look at everything fast paced trying to soak in everything. I just wanted to view the art and make my own descriptions but this visit I spent my time reading them. I even slowed down from my normal pace to look at details and break down the meaning of the art before continuing. I even looked at more descriptions than ever. My normal pace included looking at things for about 15 seconds to a minute but this time it took a few minutes.

            My favorite piece this visit was The Angel of Death and the Sculptor from the Milmore Memorial. Just looking at the sculpture I can tell it was an angel by the wings, holding flowers while engaged with the sculptors left hand that holds the chisel. After reading the label I learned that the angel is actually the Angel of Death and the flowers that she held in her hand were poppies, which symbolized eternal sleep. The description also stated 'The poetic content of the sculpture, as well as French's successful integration of real and ideal elements, makes the memorial a profound statement on the creation of art and the cessation of life.' I was drawn to this piece due to the angel and smooth look of the stone. I'm mainly drawn to art based on personal interest, the beauty of the art, colors, or that unexplained feeling of 'I must view this piece. I can't simply just walk past it.' When looking at the art I use the formal and stylistic analysis. To me, those are the main two views and the way I am used to looking at things.
            I chose to do the silent, close looking exercise with a painting called Stormy Landscape. I noticed the dark colors throughout the painting but the lighting of the color in the lower left of the painting is different. There is man with his horses overlooking a river and what looks like a medieval castle as the storm approaches. Looking closely you can see a boat in the water as well as what looks like a little camp sight. You won't see it that clear in the picture I took but there are forms of bodies with tents setup and a little bonfire. Stepping away from the painting you get the theme of the dramatic storm happening. Even though this visit for class, I enjoyed myself as always and intend on going back soon.
Stormy Landscape, Joshua Shaw, 1818


The Angel of Death, Daniel Chester French, 1889-93

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, after about 15 trips to a museum I actually remember staring at Stormy landscape. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good Kimiko, good descriptions of the visiting experience and how the inforamtion on the label helped with looking at the work.

    ReplyDelete