Monday, March 21, 2016

Ways of Looking


Notes: I chose a painting at random to observe and analyze. Visually it is a painting of a tree, perhaps in fall, as seen through a window. The first thing I noticed about the painting was the colors. For the first 15 seconds or so, I let the visual forms process. Bright colors, the window, the lack of any detail in the room or sky, the tree, the angles of the painting. At around 25 seconds, I have processed most of the visual information and my cognitive interpretation begins. I began to think of who painted it and why, what were they thinking about, what is in the painting and what is implied. At about a minute I started to come to some conclusions. Then I started thinking about the technique and circumstances around which it was painted. I initially viewed the painting about 4 feet back, walking closer then further away as time progressed. I began to think critically about the painting towards the end of my allotted 2 minutes. Did I like this painting? Is it good art?

Analysis: I would say my first analytical thoughts about the painting were Stylistic. What does the painting look like? What is the technique? I would say this work is Impressionistic. It lacks detail but still conveys the basic form of the objects it depicts. The colors are interpretive, the way the artist sees them in the specific lighting; the tree is not actually that color. The perspective of the artist is a priority over realism. The window is not that shape in reality. The sun coming in the window is inviting, it evokes a sense of wanting to go outside to look at this beautiful tree. I would say the choice of color, in particular of the leaves, is the most distinctive element of this painting.

Formal analysis of the work was concurrent with the Stylistic analysis. I began to observe the shape of the window, the stream of sunlight, the lack of detail. I started to think of where this fit in the grand scheme of styles and techniques. What kind of paint was used? Observations of detail including brush techniques, facture, and focal points. The overall composition is focused on this tree through the window. The fields of color are pleasing and there is a good sense of light. My guess of medium would be acrylic paint. The brush strokes are clean but there are some painterly elements to the work.

Contextual or Biographical analysis is usually the last thing I think about when viewing work. Since I didn't see any biographical information about the artist, I thought about the circumstances around the artist when painting. The artist was probably looking out the window of a classroom. Maybe it is fall or spring time. The artist may be longing to go outside. A tree is a good choice of subject, in particular when it's right outside the window to be observed. The style is conducive to someone who is learning how to paint. It's simplistic and interpretive, it doesn't require a ton of careful skill to execute an effective work in this mode. The location of the painting in the hallway of Laguardia also is indicative of student work. The work was lit by fluorescent light in a bustling hallway which added to the sense of a student longing to be outside.

Overall I enjoyed this excersize. It made my critical thinking when viewing a work more systemic and concretized some of my thought processes that occur when I look at art.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice work here Gary- a thorough description of your seeing process and good understanding of the types of visual analysis.

    ReplyDelete