Monday, March 14, 2016

Introduction


Hello everyone, my name is Jonathan Morales. I have lived in New York City all my life and I am currently a Liberal Arts: Math and Science major. This is my third semester at LaGuardia. I’m taking Intro to Art specifically to sustain my academic writing abilities and to balance with the math courses I’m taking. Currently, I am focused on building a strong, versatile transcript for transfer possibilities. This will be the third art-related class I’m taking. In my first semester, I took Art & Society with Prof. Elsayed and thought the course structure was well done and engaging. The blogging aspect kept students directly involved throughout and I enjoyed comparing and contrasting opinions. I’m glad the structure is more or less the same for this course. Personally, I haven’t found what interests me career-wise, but I’m not in a rush to find out. My hobbies are tame: I read, I study, I swim, and I write. Art is a strange thing. The Romantic period is inspirational, and my eyes will always admire Modern art. However, Contemporary art gives me this notion of pretentiousness and falsity. Either way, I will always love art and the experiences it can create. Viewing or making art is so personal, almost intimate. I have visited every museum in the city (even the Museum of American Finance, sadly) and every other week I try to find a fresh gallery to visit. I have always been slightly intimidated of drawing or painting in a class setting, so I’m excited to actually be making something and sharing it with others. I’m looking forward to meeting everyone and having an enjoyable semester. We all have meaningful perspectives to share!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, great intro essay. I didn't even think of comparison between contemporary and modern art. Now that I have googled it, thanks, I totally agree with your stand. What did you think about Cloister's museum? I am still mesmerized, after a year of seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol don't be intimidated, I can't draw at all but I just enjoy doing it anyway... no judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jonathan! I heard about a book you might like: http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10537.html
    It's about art & math. The author has also written one on science. Ask me more about this. Perhaps this could be an area for you to research?

    ReplyDelete