Monday, March 21, 2016

Ways of looking



           People go to see arts in many purposes. I like going to see many kinds of arts. However, I have never thought about how to look arts deeply before learning the ways of looking art in the Wednesday class. I learned about analyzing art by using eyes and brain from the experience of looking art in a hallway.

           The painting I saw is a collage at the right next to the door of the entrance of the hallway. The collage is combined some materials such as paintings, paper form comics of Captain America and blocks from kid’s toy below the collage. First, I saw the collage by standing from a distance away to see overall image and balance. I like the composition of the tree and colors. Also, I found the feeling of sadness from the collage. Then, I saw the collage closely so that I could see the dynamic brush strokes and the each material. Furthermore, I found that the word “911” was made in the blocks deliberately. Since it is collage, a distance is important to see the image. I thought the lighting of the place is a little dim and it is not perfect for the collage. On the other hand, it could help for conveying the feeling from the collage. 

            I think that the way I looked at my art was a formal and stylistic analysis.  I saw the details that the artist may have used oil painting, color choosing and how did the artist include other materials. And also what made the work of art distinctive and what is the conveying emotion the collage might have. Because there is the words “Tree of Blood” and “911”, I could guess that it expresses the sadness from 911. Since there is not any name of the artist or description, I didn’t use contextual analysis and biographical analysis.


           As I have seen, I learned different kinds of analyzing from the class. Arts show the artist‘s works in their ways. Then, people see the art in various ways like the analyzing technics. Learning ways of looking made me more interested in seeing arts. It also could help me for criticizing art in my future.

1 comment:

  1. Good work here Kanae, and this artwork really does require up close and distant looking, so I am happy to see you were able to make observations and get more meaning from moving your body closer to the work. Also, I think you DID use contextual analysis- because you know what 9/11 is an interpreted meaning from that!

    ReplyDelete