Monday, March 28, 2016

The Metropolitan Museum of Art

It’s an understatement to say that the Metropolitan Museum of Art, commonly known at The MET, is big. Suffice it to say, The MET is colossal.  The MET is currently a ¼ mile long and holds upward to 2,000,000 square feet.  Upon seeing The MET for the first time as a child, I remember being just awestruck at it’s sheer size and anxious to explore the wonders within.  When I recently revisited The MET, those feelings of captivation and fascination still lingered within me.  As I made my way to the top of those great steps, that childish enchantment reached critical mass.  I took one deep breath and entered into The MET.
            The very first thing I noticed inside The MET was the intense capacity of people within.  Not only the amount of people within but people from all walks of life.  People of different races, ethnicities and religions were about to embark on a journey through The MET.  Granted many of the individuals within seemingly looked like tourists; armed with DSLR cameras, various maps of New York City and billowing backpacks.  However, within the lobby of The MET, we all shared a common expression of beguilement at the interior of The MET.  Enormous sprawling arches loomed around the interior, filled with rich sunlight that was provided through wide windows.  The ambience displayed through the interior architecture really sets the stage for the museum and its patrons.  The environment within the lobby of The MET conjures up feelings of an ethereal experience that is yet to commence but has already begun planting its seeds.  My expedition into The Met was just getting started.
            More importantly however, are the vast collections of artwork that is displayed within The MET.  Subsequently, as I peered wide-eyed into the map of The MET, I was taken aback by the amount of wings and venues present.  Many of which I had not visited in my previous trips to The Met.  This fueled my eagerness to explore the new areas even more so. I did however, contemplate signing up for a structured tour through The MET but I thought against it simply because I wished to let my legs and mind wander unhindered.  Armed with only a map, I began my trip through The MET.
            As I weaved my way through the various wings of The MET, I found myself spending the majority of my time between the collections of European Paintings and the courtyard that held Greek and Roman Art.  As a huge admirer of Greek and Roman mythology, the statues and sculptures within the courtyard appealed to me the utmost.  As I entered into the courtyard-like setting, it felt as though I had in fact travelled back in time to an actual courtyard during the era in which these sculptures were forged.  The physical space I entered really captured the spirit of Greek and Roman art.  The piece that I began my close analysis of is the marble statue of Bearded Hercules.  When I first walked into the courtyard and set my eyes upon this marvelous statue, I knew just by looking at the structure that this is a depiction of Heracles.  The way this statue exemplifies masculinity with the defined body structure and height, really demonstrates the overall mythology behind Heracles.  Upon closer examination, more details begin to unfold.  The headdress that is depicted on this sculpture is no doubt an allusion to Heracles’s first labor, the slaying of the Nemean Lion.  As I gazed deeper into the statue, I began to appreciate the labor of the artist.  It sometimes gets overlooked that the greatness of marble statues and sculptures arise from the painstaking task of creating something so magnificent from a sheer block of marble.  The details present within the statue of Bearded Heracles shows how delicate of a task it is to forge such shape and detail.  The details such as the beard, which contain many curls and locks, demonstrate the mastery and control of the artist.  Perhaps an even greater detail is the headdress itself, which contains the carcass of a lion.  The way the artist meticulously chiseled in the headdress tying itself around Heracles portrays not only a sense of manliness for the object but also the high-level of craftsmanship of the artist himself. 
            By the same token, the marble statue of a Youthful Heracles demonstrates the bravado of Heracles and the expertise of the artist.  This marble statue is my absolute favorite.  Upon first glimpse, the towering physique of Heracles is overwhelming.  This seems to portray a “larger than life” characteristic that is a common theme within the mythology of Heracles.  The immense weight that this sculpture evokes is seemingly highlighted with the magnificence of the headdress that is seen again with this sculpture.  This time however, it is displayed not upon the head of Heracles but it is laid out over his arm.  The way the headdress is spewing from his arm and hanging freely by his side really illustrates the effect of gravity.  It is also significant to note that Heracles is leaning upon the base of a tree.  The artist does not overlook even the smallest of details, such as the way his hips are placed and resting upon that tree. Both sculptures are said to have been constructed and placed on display near a public bath during 62 A.D.

            Ultimately, a trip to The MET never disappoints.  Even upon the second or third rip to The MET, certain details and highlights bring about a deeper understand and appreciation for all aspects of art.  Upon my trek through The Met, my eye has come across new galleries that are currently being renovated and longstanding galleries expanded upon.  Perhaps a revisit to The Metropolitan Museum of Art is in order. 



1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written Yusuf! A great description of your experienece and of the detailed looking at the Greek sculpture.

    ReplyDelete