Monday, March 21, 2016

Post #1

Hi everyone, my name is Katarina and I found this course challenging because I do not see myself into art. To be honest I chose this painting because it was the closest one to me. This dynamic painting drew my attention because of darkness and messiness. At very first look the painting made me feel angry and nervous. After few minutes when I got closer and observed better I saw different brush movements.In my opinion the painter did not use just  brushes to create this impression of mess. The colors are thick and brush movements are visual. I found it interesting how the painter chose to make his own format and leave a little white space.The yellow lightening  above helped me see deeper into the picture. The wall where the painting is located is lighter than the painting which makes a big contrast and observer is able to concentrate just on the work. I had a strange  feeling that picture is observing me because I noticed many pair of eyes on the painting. Also the shapes and lines are not very clear which gives this painting a hint of urbanism. I love how he barely used green on his painting but he used green to emphasize significance of his name and  date when the painting was made.
In my opinion to understand this painting observer must spend more than five minutes looking at the work and changing the observing point would also be helpful to really perceive the story of it.

1 comment:

  1. Katarina, there is much to observe about this painting and its setting- and in your writing you begin to make some good observations, but you can go further. (ALSO, blog posts are a minimum of 300 words). For example, you point out some of the ways the environment affected your viewing, but then didn't address how that sever lighting might affect the colors. Also, you don't mention any of the types of visual analysis we covered in class (and on the vocab list). This was part of the assignment.

    ReplyDelete