Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Blog Post #1: Painting Analysis


 

                At first glance the art piece I viewed simply seemed to be a white canvas with black angled lines, very basic in its color scheme with the artist only using white and black colors. My first impressions of the piece were that it was simple and what I assumed to be easy to recreate. Upon a closer in depth look of the piece I did discover some details I would have never noticed if I was not required to look at the artwork for longer than two minutes or view the artwork at various physical distances from the piece.

                When I just focused on the piece for more than two minutes I started to notice some specific details about the piece, approaching it through a formal analysis, that I found interesting like how there were no straight lines in this artwork except for the two main straight lines forming vertically down the center of the piece. The two mid-center lines were in some way connected to all the lines that formed throughout the canvas. I also noticed the small smudges of white paint in random spots throughout the piece which I took to indicate the level of the artist’s painting experience. When I viewed the artwork from various distances, including up close, I noted the way the lines were painted. The artist layered the lines on top of each other as opposed to the image being one line that branches out into different directions.  I thought this detail made the artwork seem more meaningful as the lines were thought out and layered in their positions with purpose. The lines also at different points throughout the piece form all types of geometrical shapes of the white canvas like squares, diamonds, triangles and rhombuses.

                There was no information in regard to who the artist was, or any history behind the piece and the reason for its creation which left no way of analyzing the piece through a biographical or contextual lens. I also thought the actual setting of the hallway which the piece was being displayed played a large role in how one observes this piece. The hallway itself was a bit noisy and a little busy, because of this I thought it was harder to concentrate on the painting and not everything else in my surroundings. The painting was also displayed against an almost beige, light terracotta wall which I think made the white coloring in the painting seem not as pristine.

1 comment:

  1. Good observations Jasmine! Getting up close revealed the overlapping of the lines- part of the technique the artist used- and that wouldn't have been visible from a distance. The lines really are the main thing here- and the way they seem to protrude and recede on the surface. And good work noting the environment of the work.

    ReplyDelete