Tuesday, June 7, 2016

The Path to Arts or The Path of Arts?

The High Line was suppose to be my path to my destinations, instead this path became my destination. I started my Chelsea galleries adventure from the West 34th street entrance to the Hight Line. My plan was to travel through the High Line and making stops to different galleries as I travel. However, this plan only worked half way. As I made my way into the High Line, I started to realize that the High Line is actually the "gallery" I would like to visit the most. Besides the sculptures and performing arts, the place itself was a piece of art.



The High Line was a train line that ran from West 34th street to Spring street. I found this very fascinating, because currently the High Line is hovering over a train yard. It was like a transition from the past to the present. On the Hight Line, we are still able to see the old train tracks that are left behind. In addition, the way they designed the stuff on the High Line was very cleaver. Such as the benches on the High Line, they are part of the ground.
Beside the old and new train tracks, there are also contemporary arts on the High Line. New ideas on an old train tracks can shows the differences between both, but can also bring out the uniqueness in both.





For example, one of the contemporary art I saw was a sculpture. It was a 3 dimensional statue. From what I saw, I believed it was made out of clay, by using the modeling method. It also had very realistic color. However, what made this statue special was that it was a half-naked sleep walking man. We had seen lots of naked male statue in the history. They were all God-like men, with an amazing body, and always in an alpha position. Unlike the statues in the past, this half-naked sleep walker is chubby, wearing an old dirty Hanes underwear, AND he's sleep walking. This isn't something we would normally see on the street, but behind the windows and the shades, we all know there are someone like this statue in the world.



I was also lucky enough to went on a day where performing art was performing. This performing art was a combination of music and ideas. Three band groups were invited to perform. However, each band members were given their own area, along with their own speakers. I found this very interesting, because we don't usually pay attention to every members in a band. However, during this performing, every member was the spot lights. Visitors was surrounding every area and left no one behind.


I enjoyed my experience at the High Line very much. In addition, I also had two galleries that stood out to me the most among others. One of them was the Yossi Milo Gallery. It was located on 10th Ave between 25th and 24th street. It is a gallery for photos of wild animals. The size of the photos were huge and details were really clear. The second gallery was the Cara Gallery. The doors of the gallery were extremely heavy and I had a hard time opening it. However, the paintings inside the gallery made it worth it. They were large black and white paintings. By far, they looked like pencil drawings, due to the off white color on the paintings. The paintings looked very clean and simple. It gave me the feeling of zen.  


Photos:















1 comment:

  1. Great pictures Alan, and it looks like you had a good day of seeing art! How lucky that you got to see those high line performances!

    ReplyDelete