Saturday, June 11, 2016

Final

My piece is titled “Untitled.” While studying for exams, I began drawing straight lines on one of the pieces of paper, using an edge of a notebook. I then continued to add to the piece by filling in the 72 squares with watercolor. The colors chosen to fill in the squares was decided by what I felt was appropriate. There’s no pattern. The colors consist of red, blue, yellow, and green. There’s one lime green square, which was supposed to be yellow, but another color spilled into it. It’s my favorite square. Once I was finished, I decided it was some sort of ‘emotion board’ but I was unhappy with how simplistic it appeared. I cut the squares out carefully and put them on top of the second paper. I made many patterns and figures with the squares, attempting to decide in which way the ‘emotion squares’ created some sort of harmony. I decided a spiral represented a balance of emotions. I also thought it was funny to have squares in a circular motion. I used tape to hold the squares in place, but it wasn’t something I wanted to do. I looked at my piece and decided I didn’t like it at all so I turned around the paper and began drawing lines again; this time freehanded and compact. I thought of what I could draw to represent the opposite of a balance of emotions. I used black circles to signify negative emotions. I added a sporadic use of line in this spiral to represent how reckless and disruptive negativity can be. I had more fun painting the circles with watercolor than I did the squares. Overall, I still really dislike the piece and I think the spirals ended up looking like the Time Warner Cable logo.


Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment