Tuesday, June 7, 2016














Blog post #6

As I visited the Chelsea Galleries on such a beautiful and sunny day with perfect temperature I was excited to be able to witness some of our contemporary art works in display in the city.  Now contemporary art is works of living artist today. I wish I had met one of the artists at display but wasn’t lucky. There were so may to choose from the list and plus other ones available to the public. Some of the themes in display were forms of critique which I saw in the “Stop playing in my face” gallery, integrates new technologies or unconventional materials like Amy Cutler Fossa with braided hair all over, “Act of Nature” and his new technology, there was also “The Marionette Maker” with the use of technology and mix of marionettes. And looking back at history with “Light & Heavy” gallery. There were so many themes at work in the galleries that were breathtaking. Contemporary art is a way our culture and society offers a lens through which we can consider current ideas and rethink the familiar to us. In the “Act of Nature” we can see how he uses technology in order to allow us to view his art in the way we are supposed to visualize it. He uses pictures and video for which he adds movement, captures different angles of the image and bring to life nature. He is sharing with us the view of nature in its natural habitat. Not very commonly seen unless you live in the jungle. “The Marionette Maker” was a bit creepy and scary once you walk in. The artist used sound and marionettes. There was also people but not alive and all the action/acting was done by the marionettes. “Stop playing in my face” is a critique for which I am guessing is to the ordinary and shares with us a new perspective in today’s modern world of contemporary art. The artist was very unique and creative for which he also had a video made especially for the gallery based on his art work. I also viewed Amy Cutler Fossa’s gallery but was strange in many ways. When you first walk in the gallery is decorated with long strands of braided hair all over and even a braided hair hive. Not a beehive but a hair hive. Very unique but with the sounds of the gallery it was even more scarier and I didn’t want to keep going inside the gallery. I had a very exciting and great time at the galleries and learned a lot in regards of contemporary art. It is very different to the past art and the modern art. Although after my experience at the galleries I have fell more in love with art.   

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had all these different experiences looking at art!

    ReplyDelete