Monday, June 6, 2016

A trip through the Chelsea’s Galleries…





            I took a trip to the “Chelsea’s art district,” no that’s not its name, I’m creating it because is amazing the quantity of art galleries in many streets, next to each one. You can spend a whole day walking street after street and entering each gallery. It’s really wonderful.

            I got into about 8 different galleries, some I don’t know the name because I saw through the window, something got my attention, and I just went in. I also walked in the Highline.

            I loved them all, but my favorite, my Top 1 was "Act of Nature" of Yorgo Alexopoulos at Bryce Wolkowitz Gallery.

            The reasons I loved it is because I love nature, and all related to it. Also because the sensation it produced in me. It made me feel peace from the instant I went in, while I was observing each art piece I could stare it for a while and get lost in it, like I was getting transporting to that place. Some art pieces were 3D and some even 4D (they had one with a water fall in a forest and a fan just on you so is like you could really feel how is being there). After reading about the process of how Alexopoulos created it (http://brycewolkowitz.com/h/exhibition_press.php?e=65&t=release), made me like it more because it inspired me to improve my artistic skills and gave me new ideas for future projects. The final reason if because this gallery relieved me from the emotional impact I got after seeing "The Marionette Maker" (I will explain this later).  


Now let’s talk about the themes:

            Looking back at Art History: Influenced by cross-cultural mythology, especially that of his Greek heritage, the works in Act of Nature explore ways in which ancient cultures have personified nature in order to understand the origins and elements of the natural world. The unique cosmologies these systems of knowledge claim to reveal and decipher are central themes explored in his artistic practice.

            In Act of Nature, Alexopoulos has turned his attention to human migrations and the resulting intermingling of disparate belief systems to explore the universalities that reach across cultures and eras. 




            Using different working methods and processes / References multiple disciplines and sources / Integrates new technologies or unconventional materials:

            Harvesting and manipulating original cinematographic footage collected during sweeping travels around the globe. Alexopoulos' works draw from a wide range of original media including his own paintings, digital renderings, photographs, and filmed footage.

            This diverse collection of moving images and mixed-media objects presents an artist who is an early adopter of brand new technologies. To produce this single exhibition, Alexopoulos films in 4K video, makes use of translucent LCD video screens, Kuka robots, 3D printers, motorized dollies, and multiple cameras synchronously shooting time-lapse photography hundreds of yards apart.  Custom fabricated steel and aluminum frames are carefully considered, doubling as sculptural layers in the form of the Euclidian shapes that are ubiquitous throughout the exhibit.

            Blurs the boundaries between art and everyday life: He was influenced by a global issue (immigration).


            My Top 2 gallery was Cindy Sherman at Metro Pictures, this was my first choice when I saw the list because as a photographer I admire her. She is a wonderful artist; her self-portraits are very creative, and her work have been shown in many museums from different countries. She is famous and inspiring, and her photos are sold by millions of dollars (awesome, right?).


            Looking back at Art History: I realized that in some of her self-portraits she shows clothes typical of other ages and countries. So in my opinion she found inspiration in historical events and characters.

            Using different working methods and processes / References multiple disciplines and sources: Her self-portraits are made by the photographic process but she adds touch of creativity like double exposure.


            I was fascinated of Stan Narten’s "World Eater" at Kravets|Wehby Gallery. His abstract art is really captivating. I stare at each one and tried to figure out what I was seeing, I was with my friend so was funny see the different interpretations that can have an abstract piece of art.


            My interpretations were from hell, to dragons, Star Wars scene, Atlantis, bombs exploding. Was really a funny and interesting visual experience.


            I don’t know how relate his work with the themes discussed in class because all the pieces were painting on canvas, but what I can relate as contemporary is the kind of abstract art, because is no like the Pollock (throwing the paint to the canvas), this one looks like more elaborated, more “Sci-Fi.” I can imagine the artist painting his own messed mind (I’m not telling this is the case, just using my imagination).


            Tracey Emin "Stone Love" at Lehman Maupin Gallery didn’t amazed me at all, the only thing I really liked were the neon writings (they were created using her handwriting). However, the background of this art interest me more than the art itself, the story behind the creation of this set of art pieces get my attention. Is all about love, its reflections, and self-discovery.

            Looking back at Art History: Emin upholds the timeless legacy of figurative artworks, often modeled on her own body or on historical photographs, while developing a pictorial language and style that distinguishes her within this genre.


            She uses different working methods and processes including painting, bronze sculptures, neon, embroidery, and works on paper.

References multiple disciplines and sources: The title of the exhibition, Stone Love, comes from the first line of David Bowie’s song Soul Love.

Integrates new technologies or unconventional materials: In her neon works, which the artist regards as “missives,” she renders wistful phrases in her own handwriting. Emin, also a prolific writer, views the texts she composes for her neons as more akin to drawing, the quality of the line unique to each work.

Blurs the boundaries between art and everyday life: Emin’s practice is the result of an intense process of self-discovery in which she transforms her profound and personal anecdotes into universal narratives.


            And now the last and my less favorite is Janet Cardiff & George Bures Miller, "The Marionette Maker" at Luhring Augustine Gallery: I hated this one. I will admit it, this gallery crept me out, I receive an emotional impact because was scary, made me felt depressed for some reason and it was really disgusting (I saw “an act of nature” after this and that’s what helped me get relaxed again).  


            It was created using different working methods and processes. It has an immersive multimedia work, marionettes, audio, lightning, etc.

            Integrates new technologies or unconventional materials like the combination of the elements prior listed, which make this art unique and really haunting.

            Blurs the boundaries between art and everyday life: it covers toys, books, music. Those things are in our everyday life.

            After visiting the galleries, I went to the Highline for a walk. It was a beautiful and relaxed experience although it was crowed. I could observe some street art as well as exhibitions in the Highline itself. I loved walk in the highline because is like you leave New York and you are in New York at the same time. I will explain myself, I felt like I left New York and was observing from above, that the stress of the cosmopolitan disappeared (of course both sides of the Highline are surrounded by plants so that helps a lot).

            The most captivating for me was the one made of rocks inside a sleep bag, it is really tricky because at first you think is an actually body, but then you realized is just rocks.

            Overall I have to say that this trip was really incredible, I wish I could have more time to get into each gallery, maybe I will come back, who knows.

Maybe you wondering where are the photos.. click the link below I check the video called "Chelsea Galleries" (because some difficulties I couldn't upload the video straight here)

1 comment:

  1. Gabriel- yes please go back often! There are new shows about every month. And I am so glad you enjoyed the highline, especially with your photographer eyes!

    ReplyDelete