Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Final Project


 

Before.

                For my final project I initially brainstormed what kind of form of art I wanted to create. After the class’s last trip to the art galleries in Chelsea I was really inspired Yungsun Lee’s pieces in his show “NU” and was really set out to create a 2D drawing with a slight elements of a collage that incorporated a background with some graphic inorganic shapes. Using both sheets of paper provided to me by Professor Elsayed, I planned to draw and create my shapes on one and then use the other to cut, draw, color and cut out the word “Final” from. I wanted the word “final” to be a focal aspect to my piece because my finals at school were the only thing I could really think about, so I drew inspiration from this aspect of my life as well. Drawing the background of the piece I used a ruler to create what I wanted to be really sharp sporadic lines that I wanted to reflect a sense of anxiety or uneasiness, feelings often associated with finals week. I chose to use the colors red and yellow in attempts to create a bold statement. I also wanted to leave an elements of the original paper still visible giving off this idea that is still a work in progress, similar to finals week and my grades for the semester.


After.

                After viewing the rest of the final projects by the class I was really blown away by how creative everyone was and their use of the two sheets of paper. I immediately thought my project was extremely underwhelming in comparison and set out to add more color and dimension to my own work. I initially did not want to use watercolors because I thought it wouldn’t be opaque enough to give off a “bold” statement but seeing the level of opaqueness other student were able to achieve in their pieces I thought I’d give it a shot. I thought the watercolors were able to achieve a rich amount of color but it was difficult for me to maintain straight lines with the paintbrush so I quickly abandoned that idea and used a marker. The marker was able to help me add color to the piece with respect to the straight lines but left these unintentional lines from where I colored in the negative space. It wasn’t ideally the final result I wanted to achieve but I was still happy with the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment