Monday, June 6, 2016

#6


After the Noguchi, I’ve been especially interested with how art interacts with the space it inhabits, even if it isn’t necessarily a sculpture. I’ve always been analytic with artwork, even without concrete knowledge. This course has made me more attentive of the obscure details. On my trip to the Chelsea galleries I was interested in exploring this further. I tried to see as much as I could on this visit, so I actively ignored labels and the over detailed explanations of what I was supposed to be viewing. This first piece, although resembling a photograph, is actually oil on canvas. It was curious to note that although the painting could've been entirely representational, it instead attempts to mimic an effect that is usually caused by photography. Usually, it is paintings that come close to reproducing a photographic image, this artist, attempted to do the exact opposite – it was something I had not seen before . The lack of a border even further enforces this photographic feel. In another gallery, after entering through a dark room, I was presented with an RV composed of moving parts. Slow, melodious, melancholic music hummed in the background. Deep blue lights shined from various directions.  It was a very interactive sculpture constructed of many additional smaller sculptures within. The detailing was astounding. Dozens of people surrounded it. Many of the sculptures moved via mechanical contraptions, and viewers were able to look through the windows of the RV to see various scenes. It was definitely one of the most engaging pieces of contemporary art I had seen. The last piece is a small watercolor painting within two frames. The scene is of a car falling off a cliff, almost purposely. The watercolor is light, composed of primary colors red and blue – and presumably mixed to make the purple. The piece feels practically hypnotic, an effect caused by the framing.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that last watercolor with it's red border is optically strong!

    ReplyDelete