Monday, June 13, 2016

Final Project




Looking Forward to Last Night

“Looking Forward to Last Night” is an abstract 2d landscape painting. During this semester I found that I really like art that shows nature but in a slightly abstract way,  with vivid colors and dreamlike imagery. 

I used overlapping to create a feeling of texture and life. I drew the Tree,  the moon and the bird on one paper and glued them to the other one that I had painted (with watercolors) to be the background.  I wanted them to seem alive,  to stand out from the background.    

The line that the tree makes in the middle divides the day from the dusk.  I really liked the Gaugin painting that we discussed in class “After the Sermon” and I wanted to create a similar feeling with a tree being in the center.  

After going to the galleries last week I realized that if I am going to make art I want to make nature a part of it.  I was most moved by the art that included natural things.  

The triangles at the bottom right represent human’s attempt to make geometrical shapes out of nature,  they also point to the bird in the tree.  

The bird is looking to the future while thinking of the past. This is the main theme I was trying to communicate.  The moment between day and night,  sometimes half the sky is still bright and the other half is getting dark already.  I wanted to make that represent how in our lives we are moving from one phase to another,  but it's not always easy to let go of the past.  There are always good things and bad things that come with change.  But nature shows us that change is always happening,  we have to change with nature,  we can't fight against it.  


The bird is small and pretty,  but very brave to be able to live in nature and change with day and night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment