Friday, June 10, 2016

Final project

Gary Thomas Dusek
"Continuing Education" 2016
Grey paper, project board, staples, wire hanger

"Continuing Education" is a small sculpture representing a visual pun about my personal academic path. I often use linguistic forms and devices in my visual art. I returned to school after a long hiatus, so I am currently a Sophomore in college but i am 42 years old. I also just earned my high school diploma this year.  There is a cultural idea that school and learning are solely the domain of children and young adults, therefore the visual metaphor of a high chair. The elongated legs can be interpreted in the literal sense and further as an inference to the inaccessibility of education to older adults due to finances, personal and societal bias, or familial responsibilities. I am reacting to these ideas and calling attention to the fact that they are ridiculous and counter productive to society. It is my hope that older adults strive to complete or continue their education to benefit their own future as well as contribute to society as a whole.

Thanks everyone for a great class and good luck in all your future endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment