Monday, June 6, 2016

BP #6


The first artwork I saw was Yorgo Alexopoulos’ “Act of Nature” at Bryce Wolkowitz Gallery. The 2 categories of contemporary art I noticed most were “Integrates new technologies or unconventional methods” and “can unfold over time” In this exhibition, his artworks are multimedia sculptures and video installations of landscapes of the nature influenced by Greek mythology. He used technology to make the art such as looped digital animation, 3D gypsum print. These are the new technologies he integrates. His artworks attracted me and held my attention for a long time. 




Next I saw Cardiff and Miller “The Marionette Maker” at Luhring Augustine Gallery. They definitely used different working methods and processes and their artwork unfolded over time. In this installation, many wired sculptures of marionettes are moving by electric motors. It is very dreamlike but there is a woman lying in inside the life size camper that is very realistic. From the entrance of the room, I was fascinated by the mysterious atmosphere. Viewers are able to walk close and look inside.



Third, I saw the Richard Serra exhibition at Gagosian Gallery
I would say that his art is more suited to be out in the world than in a gallery.  I can picture it on the city street or along a highway. So I would say that it exists outside of the usual traditional exhibition form.



Lastly I visited Rashaad Newsome "Stop Playing in My Face" at DeBuck Gallery. He used different working methods and procedures and looked back at art history, also referenced multiple disciplines According to the information from the front desk, he has a feminism sense from his black, queer and transgender identity. He used Dutch-style frames for his collages, was inspired by Dutch-style frames in the Met, referencing moments in Renaissance art and architecture history. Definitely mixes old with new.



1 comment:

  1. Great observation about the Serra sculpture being more suited for outdoor space.

    ReplyDelete