Monday, May 16, 2016

Space within Reflection

We knew that with the right knowledge and the right terms, we can all be painting analysis experts. However, did you know that we can also analysis a sculpture? Just like how we analysis a painting, there are different types of sculpture, made from different types of elements. In addition unlike viewing a painting, the viewers for sculptures must move their position to view the sculpture in different point of view and dimension.


For example, one of the sculpture that really caught my eyes during my tour was a 3 dimensional sculpture made out of metal and wood. "WAIT A MINUTE!" you might be confused about the material that was used in this sculpture, because most sculptures are either wood OR metal. The artist decided to use an assembling technique to combine both metal and wood. This was what interested me to get a closer look at this sculpture, because I find it interesting to see a shiny and glossy object on top of a distressed and matte object. Assembling was not the only technique that the artist used in this sculpture, the artist also carved the wood to make it look more distressed and making the texture more "pop". This action created a great comparison between both objects. Since this sculpture was 3 dimensional, it was only right for me to walk around the sculpture to get a better view from different angles. This is when I realized the holes on the left side of the metal. It almost looked like the artist pull this metal off from a car. In addition, as I moved away from the center of the sculpture, I started noticing the reflection that was created on the metal. It made me think that this sculpture was placed facing colorful paintings for purpose. This sculpture had more than just the negative space and positive space, it also created an illusion space within the reflection on the metal. This illusion space make viewers believe that there are time and movement within this sculpture. It was something my eyes could see, but my hands can't reach. Over all, it was an interesting sculpture. Made me realized that the look of the sculpture isn't the only important thing, the placement of the sculpture can make a huge different.  


No comments:

Post a Comment