Saturday, May 14, 2016

Sculpture Analysis

 In our last class, we talked about the 3D art form that is sculpture. Sculptures have been used as a form of human expression since the prehistoric times.

The piece I am going to talk about is situated in one of the garden of LaGuardia Community College but
I did not find information about the artist.

It is a sculpture made of metal. Different pieces of metal have been cut in geometrical shapes then joint together by welding to create an ensemble.
I see a pattern in the way the pieces have been assembled. Looking from the side it kind of looks like stairs.

The work is additive and free standing which means that the artist added materials together to create the sculpture and all sides of it are surrounded by space. The positive space is the sculpture itself, while the negative space is the space around.
The art work is abstract. It does not represent anything in the "real" world. It is tactile with a smooth texture.

Looking  at this sculpture, I tried to figure out if it could represent anything or to give it a meaning, but I came up with the conclusion that it was simply abstract with no need for interpretation. In my opinion, I would've have more interest for this piece if the artist used  some colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment