Monday, May 16, 2016

Sculpture Analysis


One of the great things about Laguardia is the plethora of art that is installed all over campus. I particularly enjoy walking up the front stairs of the E building. It is always a refreshingly cool temperature and there are plenty of works on display as you make your way up or down the stairs. The piece I chose to analyze is an abstract, curvilinear sculpture made from plaster. I believe the artist added the initial form of the work over an armature and then carved the plaster into its final form, in a way using both an additive and subtractive technique. The piece is composed of smooth, 3 dimensional shapes that to me resemble an abstracted human heart. The sculpture is free standing, with different angles offering points of interest. The artist makes use of negative space both in the “bridge” towards the top of the work, and in the cone-like hole facing front. In addition to an anatomical reading, I also note visual connotations to musical instruments, a warped trumpet or perhaps a mandolin. I feel like this object could possibly make a sound. The smooth curves and interesting angles are sensual, I was tempted to touch the work and I eventually did (after making sure my hands were clean). The color of the work was white, a natural finish for the material. The absence of color (other than white) allows the viewer to focus on the form and texture of the shapes. The artist makes good use of light and shadow in order to draw the eye towards different planes and areas of interest. The rectangular translucent glass bricks behind the work provided a great juxtaposing background, as well as illuminated the work from behind with a soft glow. Stylistically, I would say this piece followed an abstract minimalist aesthetic, with references to existing objects but no real representation of them. This piece is a successful example of abstract sculpture that is pleasing to view and contemplate.        

No comments:

Post a Comment