Thursday, May 19, 2016

Noguchi Visit: A Japanese experience


   I had the great opportunity to visit the Noguchi Museum. This Japanese place isn’t like other one I have visited before; the reasons are the following: is based in only one artist (its founder Isamu Noguchi). Doesn’t have that overwhelming security that other museums have, hence you can walk around each sculpture and get really close (without touching them of course). Is not crowed, so a sense of peace surrounds it (like you can feel the “Zeng”), and is really captivating. 

   From all the awesome sculptures I observed I will talk about two (2):

1.    Slide Mantra (1966-1985) made of Botticino Marble.

2.    The Well (Variation on a Tsukubai) (1982) made of Basalt.

   No because are better than the others, but because somehow I feel more identify or attracted to those ones.
Mantra Slide
I will begin with Slide Mantra, this modeled 3D form which is basically a spiral stair with a slide at the end reminds me of my childhood times, those fun and innocent times when I used to play with no worries. Also reminds me of the Google Company, because they have this kind of stuff for their employees to make their work place funnier (https://officesnapshots.com/2012/09/06/inspiration-offices-with-slides). This sculpture automatically triggered those flashbacks. 

   This art is representative (stairs, slide), but in my opinion (which is subjective) not only has a physical representation, but a psychological/emotional one too, as I stated before regarding my memories and fun. 

   This sculpture has a really smooth surface (as a good slide must), and its measure v
aries according the place is installed. The one observed at the museum is a small scale model of the big ones installed around the world. Some playgrounds have real slides with this design. Since it has a spiral shape, it posses negative space (as you can see in the photo).


   The Well, is

an abstract sculpture with hexagonal shape that have been carved and has two different alternated textures (smooth and rough). The middle has a bowl-like indentation perfectly shaped which is a fountain, but the water that comes from it, comes in a peaceful way, really smooth, without splashing around. It flows slowly covering the sculpture. I really love the surface, the wet smooth surface plus the water make it look like a mirror, reflecting all around, but also make it looks like a mystic fountain, like in the fairy tales when you can find secrets inside it.

   Although this art is abstract it has a meaning behind. From what I learned in the tour Noguchi had double nationality, he was American-Japanese. Many of his sculptures are made this way, with two different surface, two different elements, etc. but let’s focus on this one.

The Well
   Two different surfaces, rough and smooth, representing his double nationality, but if I have to guess which surface match which nationality I would put it this way: Rough = Japanese and smooth = American. Why? Because I understood that he didn’t feel really attached with his Japanese part, abandoned by his father, rejected by his Japanese family, he really didn’t fit there, also since he lived in America he chose to change his Japanese name for an “American” one.

   The water fountain. Water represents life, and the fact that the rock is perpetually coated with water, covering it all, I could say that it means he still chose to embrace who he was, both cultures, and that he was full of life.


   Even though both sculptures have different styles, one being abstract and the other one being representational, both have a meaning behind, a “philosophical” meaning after being analyzed. Also we can find different textures or surface. The Mantra Slide has stairs and a slide (different surfaces) and The Well two different surfaces.

   Overall I really enjoyed the experience, I think Noguchi was a very creative man that made a great use of his experiences to express himself through his art. I love how he used natural elements a craved them, but at the same time didn’t modified them at all, creating stunning sculptures. This was a unique experience that really inspired me, because I live between two worlds and I’m an artist (as him). I live between a Hearing-Deaf world and I have two nationalities Venezuelan-American, so I can use that in my favor to express myself.

1 comment:

  1. great Gabriel- and I'm so glad you were able to make personal connections to Noguchi's biography as an artist, as well as appreciate the works.

    ReplyDelete