Monday, May 16, 2016

Sculpture in the Atrium

The sculpture I decided to observe was in the E-building, within the Atrium. The sculpture was non-representational since there was nothing real about it.. You're able to pick out certain shapes that we recognize (like the tear drop looking shape on the top) but other than that it was made of completely organic shapes. It was also abstract since it broke away from recognizable images and shapes that we are used to within the 'normal' world. It was mounted on a round base so I'm assuming it was meant to be looked at from all angles; therefore, this sculpture is free standing, also known as in the round, but due to a health fair happening in the Atrium, I was only able to catch certain angles of the artwork.

            The sculpture is subtractive and additive at the same time to me. It's made out of metal but you can tell that some parts have been carved off due to the indentation on certain parts of it; therefore, it is subtractive. The carvings aren't as detailed like the pictures we looked at in class but it's clear that those parts were carved out. The sculpture is also additive because it looks as if it was modeled and not casted. This is probably why I got confused and didn't know whether it was metal or clay. I'm so used to going to museums and not being able to touch anything so I didn't bother to touch it. It has to be modeled and not casted because of the way different parts of the sculpture is bent and placed. The metal had to be soft and pliable to move that way and be carved. The metal has a dark olive green  look to it. This is what I got from  the sculpture I observed.


No comments:

Post a Comment