Monday, May 9, 2016

#4

View Through A Window, Niceca. 1925

Raoul Dufy | Nice, France

For today’s blog I chose this painting by Raoul Dufy because it instantly connected me with my childhood. As a child I used to spend every single summer break at my grandparents’ house next to the sea. At the first look at the painting my eyes were focused at the fish, which I believe Dufy centered the fish with some further meaning. A fish may be the symbol of eternity, fertility, freedom and depth of knowledge because water contains all the mysteriousness of the unknown. Just looking at the picture I feel somehow free and relaxed. Sea water, open balcony and warm colors made me just close my eyes and escape from this chaos in NYC. I observed a lot of cross hatching, hatching and contouring in the painting.

This beautiful painting,“View Through A Window, Nice”, Dufy created in the early 1920s. The painting is oil on canvas and Raoul Dufy was inspired by beautiful France.  According to my research Raoul Dufy in the early 1920s just  began exploring the theme of windows his paintings. In his paintings the window looked out onto a seascape became a very common part. Dufy thought that open windows were a way for the artist to represent a contrast between the indoor and outdoor worlds.  In “View through a Window, Nice”, a small balcony serves as a barrier between the setting and choppy waters of the French Riviera beyond. The indoor and outdoor worlds are separated by Dufy’s use of color. In the painting we see that he used warm tones for the interior and cool colors such as green and blue to express the exterior. In addition, I observed that Dufy used a full black line to signify horizon, which represents separation of earth from sky. 

1 comment:

  1. Great that you had a personal connection to the artwork!

    ReplyDelete