Monday, May 23, 2016

Essay #3

I had incredible experience in Noguchi museum in last class. This place is not only museum, but also a experiencing new art world. First, I want to share about Isamu Noguchi before talking about his arts. I am very proud of him personally because he is the most challenger person I ever known. His father’s name is Yone Noguchi who came to the U.S. He met Reoni Gilmour and they were working together. In 1904 Reoni was birth Isamu Noguchi in the Looseness and they went to Japan to meet Yone Noguchi. However, they could not get back together and Reoni opened English Language School in Japan. After Isamu Noguchi grew up, he came to the U.S. by himself when he was 14 years old. He was studying in the Columbia University to become a doctor. However, he left his university and attended to an art school. He traveled many countries to learn different arts, cultures and styles. Finally he combine together with his own ideas to create a new art. In 1985 he opened his museum and he became one of the most famous artist, designer, and engineer.  Finally he passed away in 1988 at age 84. I believe that he truly loves art very much, has incredible talents of art, and was making so much effort to create each piece.


  I want to share two great works in this essay. First sculpture which name is “To intrude on natures ways”. Isam Noguchi made this couple years before pasting away. When I saw this work at the first time, I thought it is just a big rock but after looking it closely, it has a nice shape like a human body, and has specific 3 cuts like separating a face, upper body, and lower body. Moreover, it has different kind of colors by cutting and also has different textures. He wants to tell us that east culture and west cultures through this piece. The east culture is staying natural and the west culture is cutting and changing. After I heard details of this work, my eyes opened through this sculpture and it made me into this art more and more. Even though he used only one marble material of rock, he created many different shape, colors and textures in this work. That is why I am in love this sculpture.


   Second sculpture is “The well” which has very smooth movements by water. Moreover water was flowing equally even though it has rough texture because of 6 edges. Therefore, it shows that this rough texture is west culture and other side of smooth texture is east culture. I felt Japan through this work because many Japanese sculpture use water and people enjoy the water sound in Japan. I felt very relax and calm by watching this piece.

   I believe that Noguchi focused in “texture” the most because whenever I see his works, I want to tough, feel and experience them. Moreover, when I tough his works, I feel more close to the arts and drawn into his art world. That is why I love his arts and the Noguchi museum is my favorite museum I ever gone.

1 comment:

  1. great work- I am glad you got so much out of the trip!

    ReplyDelete