Monday, May 16, 2016

Blog #5



In a corner of LAGCC’ hallway of the M building I came across a very bright positively looking three dimensional abstract “sculpture.” It was mounted to the wall by a couple of screws, but otherwise it could be considered a free-standing piece of art if placed differently and somewhere else, like simply laid down. The best presentation would be if hanged in the middle of the room by transparent fishing strings. It seemed it was made of wood, but once I touched it (lol) and looked more closely it turned out it was made of cardboard. There were at least two techniques used: carving and assembling. It seemed it was shaped like a log or a simple long thick stick as a base with several arch-shaped pieces attached or glued to it, but looking further it turned out that the base was all twisted and might have been combined of two sticks, but it was hard to tell. Since there were two geometrical shapes plus some unclear others as well I would describe it as assemblage. 
Also, the positive space of this art was oil painted with warm bright colors
of red and yellow standing out, some bright blue as well, even though the
white and black were predominant. Actually, the longer I observed my 
happy feelings started shifting towards the serious ones since I was 
becoming more aware of the darkness of those two neutral colors. Overall, I was under impression it represented a hunting tool of Native Americans. The biggest tip for this conclusion was a single yellow/red/black piece mimicking a feather attached to it. There was also a small clear detail in shape of an eye painted at lower end, and few others similar to it. The more I looked it seemed to me as if it was assembled from one-sided faces with eyes all twisted as in some cosmos or artist’s view of our intertwined and many times crazy world. Very creative. My imagination started to run suspenseful and mystery movies in my head, with ghosts of course. What untold story hides behind this amazing art? Let's leave it for our playful minds. Lastly: sorry, there was no any note on that grey negative space around it (the wall) illuminated by soft white lightbulb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment