Monday, May 16, 2016

#5

    For today’s post I chose the sculpture located on the third floor of the M building. I spend almost every morning on this floor so the first thing I noticed was this, how I call it, flower sculpture. This sculpture is attached to the wall so therefore I would describe it as a relief sculpture. First I thought that the sculpture is free standing sculpture because I was able to see the back of it but there was one hidden piece that is attached to the wall. This sculpture is made of metal, wood and of one material that is made of like cotton and chewed paper.  The surface of the paper was flat but the surface of the white leaf in the middle wasn’t. The white leaf in the middle looks like a cotton candy.  The sculpture is additive because it is made of different materials added one onto another. I think the artist first made the sculpture of white metal just to form some shape, like a base, and then added the green and white material to give a realistic sense of flowers.  I love how the artist made the sculpture light green and white like an actual flower. For support the artist used the metal strings to connect white metal base together and also at the back I noticed that the sculpture is hanging on the screw from the wall. I think it would be better if the artist made the sculpture mobile so it would be more impressive to observers.  The positive space is the sculpture itself and negative space would be the beige wall behind. I like that the wall is not painted into darker color because the sculpture perfectly fits this corner.  I don’t think there is a further meaning in this sculpture but to represent flowers, abstract abstract art.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment