Saturday, April 9, 2016

Form, Style and Type of Art

For this blog post, I chose an artwork from the MoMa Collection made by an American artist named Titus Kaphar. It was made in 2014 for his collection called The Jerome Project V. The form of this piece is 2D as it is a drawing made by chalk on asphalt paper. The style is representational as we can see a man's face and even though the person seems to have 3 pairs of eyes and two noses, I still classify it in the realism range with maybe an effect of movement or vibration. Perhaps not everyone sees this image as "vibrating" so in that case I would classify it in the abstract range. The type represented here is a portrait. The visual elements include its shape, which is organic. The man's face and shoulders represent the positive space, while everything around him represents the negative space (empty space). An idea of movement is created by the repetition of the contour lines. The artist created value by hatching parts of the man's face, creating light on the drawing. The irregularity of the contour lines around the man's hair and the hatching of his beard and mustache create an idea of texture.  What I perceive as a "movement effect" could be defined as a pattern,  as it is the repetition of the same elements many times. The drawing is achromatic. There isn't any color used, it is just a contrast between light and darkness. I will end my post by saying that I did not know this artist at all but after finding his artwork in the MoMa Gallery I felt compelled to research more about him and I totally love his work! He is highly talented and I would love to visit one of his gallery.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful writing about a beautiful artwork! You did so great at pointing out how each of the elements appears in the work, and bravo for choosing an achromatic work- we don't see these too much!

    ReplyDelete