Monday, April 18, 2016

essay 2

My visit to moma was a very pleasant one. I have never been so interested in art and usually I never get enough time from my busy routine to visit places like this, as, if I do get time I always love to enjoy nature. Moma is a very beautiful place, quite contemporized forms of arts are present 3D models, sculptures, paintings, wire models, political art etc. because I like paintings and I stay comfortable with them that is why I chose paintings this time too, as they give me room and space to talk and think about. Anyways my notes when I visited moma were these,
·         It’s quite beautiful the way many paintings are placed in one room to give certain messages as in women empowerment, or gender race etc.
·         The three D structures were very beautiful and intriguing but very plain.
·         The paintings I chose were, Jackson Pollock’s, Claude Monet’s, and “what is painting?’
·         I usually would have picked up one of Degas’s beautiful artwork at display but to be honest when is saw these paintings at a larger scale and made so old they blew my mind.
Me and my friend contemplated a lot about what was Pollock trying to while making the painting and we ended up thinking that he was probably just going crazy with the paint brushes and smudging and throwing paint on the canvas, although when I googled more about how Pollock used to make his artwork, I found this great video on YouTube which showed that what kind of tools Pollock used to make the paintings and etc. the painting to me is a master piece, the preservation is also beautiful as to I feel over the years the paper would have become fragile.
The second painting was what my friend chose and it’s called water lilies by Claude. He was a French impressionist painter. His painting of water lilies is very beautiful when it comes to the colors, but there is nothing properly defined there are hints of pastel or pink to show the outline of lilies blue for water and green for leaves etc. it seems more like you’re watching the painting and there is a blurredness in it.
The third art me and my friend chose was not actually a painting it was actually an artwork with writing, describing what actually is a painting? Hmm according to this artist art needs words but when I asked my friend about her opinion she said she is not quite sure as to appreciate art and to see it you need an eye if you just glimpse through everything you want really get much out of it.
After going through the exhibition when me and my friend started talking about all the paintings we saw including the degas exhibition I asked her what stood out the most to her, she said that what actually stood out to her was the fact that most of Degas’s paintings were expression less the people had no faces, he did not draw a mouth or eyes, it was very boggling as to the viewer can only guess through the type of colors used if the scenario being depicted is happy or sad. I asked her if she used the two-minute technique or no while looking at paintings, and she said although she spent too much time on Pollock’s painting but she still could not make sense out of it. We discussed how beautiful is the water lilies as it gives a cool and pretty vibe. Then she mentioned about the lighting and the setting of the paintings also emphasize on their subjects.

This was all of my and her discussions. And we had a great time at moma but Degas’s artwork really left me speechless and I was awed.
john polock's painting

what is painting? by jhn baldessari

water lilies by monet
 

1 comment:

  1. Great that you got to see these famous works- what about the teaching part? What were you able to convey to your friend?

    ReplyDelete