Thursday, June 9, 2016

Good Luck!

Hello guys,

My name is Alan. I was born in Hong Kong. I am currently pursuing my degree in Commercial Photography. I don't like to talk much... However, I enjoy seeing, talking, and creating arts. After this class, I am more aware of arts. Learning the terms and elements made me more in depth on arts.

I had one challenge. That challenge was to create an art out of two pieces of art papers. I had ideas, but my ideas are never perfect in my mind.

The title was "The Town". The materials I used were the two pieces of art papers, x-acto knife, tape, a canvas paper, and light. I wanted to keep the art papers as natural as possible. Therefore, I did not change the color nor the texture. It is a representational relief sculpture including both additive and subtractive methods. I cut the paper, as well as taping them together. One of the biggest elements in this art was shape. The whole sculpture was made out of lines and shapes.

"The Town" shows a vision of a small town located in the mountain. On the top of the sculpture, you will be able to find clouds covering most of the space. In the middle of the sculpture, there are two mountains. Between these mountains, lies two small houses. One is located on the west and the other on the east. Beneath the mountains, there are a lake almost the same size as the mountains. Inside the lake, you can find different steepness of the lake.

The sculpture only contains a mono color. Therefore, it is very hard to view the sculpture. This is the reason why I left an extra space on every shapes I cut out. It allowed me to roll up the extra space on the shapes before taping it to create depth. Also, I arched the whole sculpture, so the center of the sculpture was curved out. This way, with the light from the classroom can bring out the shadow on the sculpture to create lines and space. The shadow will always be different as long as the lights are changing. If we move the light from the east to west, it will create the same light effect as the Sun would to a normal town, mountains, and clouds. If I was to remove all the papers that I added to this sculpture, the sculpture will resume back to the art paper form.

Some people always wonder, if something is perfect, why would you still do something to it? I can relate this to art. The art paper was perfect, it wasn't wrinkled or teared. However, if I never did anything to it, I will never knew what can come out from it.

I would like to thank Professor Elsayed and all the classmates for making this a fun class for me. I was worried to take on an honor class, because I thought it would be a challenge. Now I realized that overcoming the challenge is better than not taking it.

Best,
Alan


No comments:

Post a Comment